Treatment plan and moving forward

Tom and I met with both the radiation oncologist and the oncologist today. The bone scan confirmed there is active cancer in quite a few bones, but only two of them are causing pain right now – my sternum and back (T9).

The current plan is to have two weeks of radiation to target the broken vertebrae in my back as that will give the quickest pain relief. Hopefully this will relieve some of the pain in my ribs when I breathe as well. Ladies, you know the pain of breathing when you are 9 months pregnant? That’s the best way to describe it right now….except I’m not 9 months pregnant. 🙂

Then we have two treatment options to target everything else. The first one is a chemo pill, with similar side effects to IV chemo, but less severe. The biggest side effects being diarrhea, hand-foot syndrome and fatigue. The other option is a lower dose chemo pill and either the hormone blocking pill that I have taken and hated in the past, or the hormone blocking pill can be substituted for a shot that does the same thing….we assume my body will respond the same way it has to all 4 pills with bone pain, but that is unknown.

(more…)

Partial Results

I was planning on waiting to share all this after we meet with the oncologists on Friday, but this is just too hard. We have been slowly telling people as needed, but I’ll be honest, I feel like we are falling apart. None of us know what to do. I apologize if you are reading this and I’m not telling you in person, but there were multiple spots on my spine, hips and possibly my sternum on my CT scan, meaning the cancer has returned. I’m reaching out for help as needed, but there’s not a lot any of us can do right now and it’s just hard.

(more…)

Insurance approval of scan (finally)

Insurance finally approved the bone scan and it is scheduled for October 10th. They said that because of the hurricane on the east coast, there was a shortage of the medicine they use for the test, so they had to reschedule a bunch of them, making that appointment the first available. I love waiting. 🙂

Scan Scheduled

insurance denied the pet scan until other imaging is done to show that it is medically necessary. My oncologist ordered a CT scan and a bone scan. The CT scan has been approved and is scheduled for this Monday at 10. Still waiting on the approval of the bone scan.

This Time of Year

Since my original diagnosis was in the fall of 2015, this time of year there tends to be lots of appointments and scans. There is my follow up with the oncologist, the mammogram, bone density test and PET Scan or CT Scan. This year, I’ve added in a few more because I love them so much. I’ll also be seeing an orthopedic Dr. and visiting the radiation oncologist again. More on that below…

(more…)

Jennifer – read this if you think of trying to take the hormone blocking pill again (and other stuff)

This is a note to myself in case I ever have the thought again to try taking an aromatase inhibitor.

Don’t. Just don’t.

Remember the constant pain, making it hard to take care of your home and your family. Remember how that pain made any other pain 10 times worse. Remember the horrible quality of life and that it is not worth it.

Okay enough of that…here’s what’s been going on.

(more…)

Time with Others

We are back from a fabulous vacation with family and starting to get into our summer vacation routine (sleeping late, chores, time with friends…etc.) For some reason the weather seems to think it’s spring instead of summer (God, can you bring the sun back please?), so I’m thankful we had some very hot weather while we were gone. It has been raining a lot, but at least our grass is still green. 🙂

(more…)

Would you like to receive an email each time I post?

Please enter your email address below.


You have Successfully Subscribed!