Tags: ,

It’s about 12:45 and I’m already home from having the port put in today.

Tom and I were up about 5:30am and he skipped out to Starbucks to enjoy his coffee so the smell would not torture me since I couldn’t have any!

We had a 7 am check-in time, so my sweet friend Amy sacrificed some sleep to be at our home at 6:15 and help get the girls up and ready for school.  That’s early!!  We prayed together, chatted about the morning and then Tom and I headed out.

During registration, a man came up to us and asked us if we were S’s parents.  (Protecting the privacy of our girls on here.  He obviously used her name.)  Once he said that, I recognized him in his scrubs.  James (who has 2 girls that are friends with our 10 year old,) works there and it was nice to see someone familiar, even though we have only met a couple times.  He went into the surgical prep area ahead of us and told everyone he knew us and to take good care of me.  So funny.  Even the surgeon mentioned him!

While one nurse asked me questions, the other easily put in an IV in my wrist.  Then we talked with the anesthesiologist and surgeon.  We waited about 45 minutes and then I was wheeled into the OR.

I started to tear up as I was being wheeled in to the OR, not because I was scared in anyway, but because it was all starting to feel real.  This is really happening.  I prayed for strength and wiped the tears.

In the OR they gave me a drug to relax me, I moved over to the operating table, looked at the big lights, remember thinking this is just the beginning of it all and then I woke up in recovery.

I was a little sore when I woke up but some pain meds in the IV took care of that right away.  Before I went in, I jokingly asked the surgeon to remove the little mole right by where she was going to make the incision.  She did – lol. :-). Thanks Dr. Unger!

The skin around the port is very tender, especially underneath.  I’m going to stay on top of the pain meds for now.  No need to be in pain if I don’t have to be, right?

I really couldn’t have asked for an easier procedure.  I did not feel sick at all from not eating.  (YAY!  That is what I was the most concerned about.). The care at Valley (which is associated with the University of WA) continues to amaze me.  I have met so many kind, caring and knowledgeable people already.

Random note of the day . . . the nurse asked Tom if he was in the medical field because he asked which vein they were going to be using.  She said she had never been asked that.  So funny!

On another note I received a BEAUTIFUL and super comfy bathrobe from Long Tall Sally.  Linda, the woman who helped me survive high school as a taller than normal person, sent it.  It’s crazy long and fits perfect.  Once the girls see it they are going to “need” a new bathrobe too I’m sure.  :-). Yay for comfy lounge clothes that are long enough and fit right!  Woohoo!!


Update from the next morning . . . It was a long night.  I had a hard time falling asleep and was itching from the pain meds.  (Tom is getting Benadryl this morning!)  I ended up taking 2 pain pills as it was hurting.  When I just take one pain pill, there doesn’t seem to be any itching, or at least a very minimal amount.  I remember itching after the anesthesia both after my C-section and Ectopic Pregnancy surgeries.  They gave me Benadryl in my IV then.  It didn’t happen yesterday though until I took 2 pain pills.

Around 2 I got up to take more meds and because A had a bad dream and pulled a muscle in my lower back which now hurts worse that the port area.  🙁  Took some time to stretch it really well this morning and hey, I’m already on pain meds!  I need to see if I can take ibuprofen as well to help ease that pain a bit more.  I’m still doing fine, but a bit discouraged about my back.  It’s my own fault.  It happens when I don’t workout for a while.  I will need to make sure, no matter how bad I’m feeling, to do some back strengthening exercises so I don’t have to deal with this as well.



Tags: ,